Blessed Are the Persecuted!

It's hard to stand strong in your faith when other people persecute you for firmly believing in something.

My parents, my four younger siblings, and I have experienced this quite a bit with homeschooling.  There has been numerous people who have put us down for homeschooling, whether they realize they're doing it or not.

Sometimes the smallest things people say end up being something that the person they're saying it to will remember forever, and could hurt them deeply.

In a situation my brother, sister, and I were in, someone said to us in front of other people, "You guys probably only do like 2 hours of schoolwork."

That made me frustrated, because it was not the truth. I spoke up, almost without really thinking about what I was doing. I told them that we don't just do a small amount of schoolwork, that we go well into the afternoon.  Even though that person said they were only joking and that they were sorry, I most likely won't forget what they said.

When people say those kinds of things, we usually remember it for a long time, maybe even for life.
But why do people have to say those kinds of things? you may be asking.  To answer that question, people usually say things to put you down, because 1) they could feel insecure in that area, 2) they might not understand why you believe what you believe, or 3) they might be jealous and want what you have.

Think of all the things that you believe in.  Do you get persecuted for believing in the things your parents (or someone in authority) teach you? It's normal to get persecuted. In fact, the Bible has many verses on persecution!  Here are just a few:

"In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted."  
                          -2 Timothy 3:12 

"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. If they persecuted me, they will persecute you."
                           -John 15:18-20 


“But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong” 
                            -2 Cor. 12:9 – 10

“It is through many persecutions that we must enter the kingdom of God.” 
                              -Acts 14:22

“You’re blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God’s kingdom.”
                             -Matthew 5:10

"Whoa! Hold on there a minute!" you might be saying. "The Bible says that we're blessed  when we're persecuted?"

Yes, you read that right! Amazing to know, isn't it?  Because Christ was persecuted, that is why we are being persecuted, since we are in Christ. And God is saying that we are more blessed when we are persecuted, because we are being persecuted for Him!

"So, I can just smile when I'm being persecuted? Wow, I wish I was persecuted more often!"
Well, there are times when God just wants you to smile. Then there are other times when He wants you stand up to the person who is persecuting you so you can tell them what God told you about the issue. 

"But how do I do that?"
That's a question with a simple answer. Here's what you need to do:

1) Ask God to help you know what to say in different situations.

2) Be on the alert. Listen closely to what people say. If you don't, you might not realize they're persecuting you. Then they might continue to do it if they think you don't care.

3) Speak the truth. This is one of the most important things to remember! Always try to speak the truth, not a pathetic reason! Your persecutors will learn to respect you if you don't keep making excuses.

Keep reminding yourself to stand strong when you're being persecuted! Always remember that the persecuted are blessed!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standing Strong Against Temptation

Book Spotlight - To Slay a Curse by Rae Graham

The Battle Between the Poverty and Prosperity Gospels