The Finish Line

There is a point in every marathon where the runner gets weary and wants to quit.  He doesn't feel like he can finish. His strength is running out.

I've been a runner in a few races before.  In one particular race, it was sort of like a relay, with both bikers and hikers.  I think that was probably the toughest race I've done yet.  I started out great.  I had a lot of strength, and it helps when there is at least one or two people not too far away from you.  I was behind this one girl, but then she sped up a little, and I was all alone.  (Keep in mind that this was in a woods area, and there were different check points with a person at each to time us.)  Well, for a little while I was doing okay.  But at one point, I was kind of scared and weary, and I felt like it was taking forever to get to the next check point.  Finally, I asked God to give me the strength and to help me.  I made it to my destination-  but only with God's help.

Closer to the end of the race, we all met up with our biking partners.  While she was riding her bike, I started walking, because of how tired I was.  She turned around and looked at me.  "What are you doing?" she asked me.  "We're almost there! Don't give up now!"

That statement really hit me.  I felt like it was really God talking through her to me, to tell me don't give up, persevere, and you can do it.  I saw the finish line just a little ways up ahead, and started running with all the strength I had left.  As we crossed that line, I felt relief wash through me like a flood.  We did it!  Not to mention, we finished in third place, out of about eight other groups of two.
God wants you to finish the race you started.  Hebrews 12:1 says, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."  You will win the race if you finish it!  Here are some more verses:

“All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified."
~1 Cor. 9:25-27~

“No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees.”
~Hebrews 12: 11-13~

God is standing at the end with arms open wide.  Once you cross the line, He will say, "Welcome to the finish line, good and faithful servant!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standing Strong Against Temptation

Book Spotlight - To Slay a Curse by Rae Graham

The Battle Between the Poverty and Prosperity Gospels