Dear College Students: A Letter from a College Graduate


Dear College Students,



I know you are probably stressed out with homework, tests, and papers (and probably wondering why you are reading this blog post in the first place when you have so much to do). But I know you are more than likely also thinking about your future.



You may be thinking about your future career. You may be thinking about how to land the perfect job that fits your major. You may be dreaming that one day, you will make a name for yourself in your job. Because after all, college is all about receiving that education to get that high-end 9-5, right? It's all about what you do to make yourself successful...right?



....What if we have it all wrong?



For the longest time, I thought I had to have the same job that was in my field. I was convinced that I couldn't do anything else with my life. I thought I would be in sin if I decided to go another path.



But then I realized...what if God wanted me to go down another path? What if instead of being a leader in my field, God wanted me to do something totally different?



After asking myself these questions, I came to this truth:

I AM NOT DEFINED BY MY COLLEGE DEGREE.



Whenever people ask me what my major was in college, I always cringe. Not because I am embarrassed of my field of study, but because I knew some might put me in a box once I told them what it was. They would be like, "Oh so that's who she is."



You see, people base who we are around what we do, and the way we look. The truth is, no human being can ever tell us who we are. Only God can tell us who we truly are. Who I am is not defined by what I do, and who you are is not defined by what you do. Most people know that we are not defined by our mistakes, but what they may not know is that we are also not defined by our works, even if they are good. 


So, then, if we are not defined by what we do, what are we defined by?


If we have accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior, that means we are children of God (John 1:12).

God does not look at our outward appearances, or how hard we work. He doesn't look at our wealth or success. He doesn't even look at our college degree. God is much more interested in our hearts. (1 Samuel 16:7)


"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful ligh
t." -1 Peter 2:9



"In Christ we too have been claimed as God's own possession, since we were predestined according to the one purpose of him who accomplishes all things according to the counsel of his will." -Ephesians 1:11



"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.

Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. -Colossians 3:1-3


If we let the world define who we are, we will only find ourselves dissatisfied with life. However, if we let God show us who we are in Him, we will find a peace and love we would never know without Him. 


I am by no means unhappy with my college degree. I enjoyed studying, and continuing to study, the field I am working in. However, even though I like the field I am in, does not mean I can never do something else. It does not mean that God will never call me to something different. The same goes for you.



It all comes down to this: Because we are not defined by what we do, God can lead - and will lead - where He wants us. We just need to be willing to follow His leading! 

Remember this:



"God doesn't call you to succeed. He calls you to obey."

-Sharon Hodde Miller



Sincerely,

A Fellow College Graduate



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standing Strong Against Temptation

Book Spotlight - To Slay a Curse by Rae Graham

The Battle Between the Poverty and Prosperity Gospels