If We Want to Change the World, We Have to Change Ourselves

"I'm going to change the world someday," we say while sitting in our comfy recliners, eating a bag of Doritos, and binge-watching our new favorite series on Netflix.

We read quotes from people like Mahatma Gandhi, "Be the change you want to see in the world."

All we do is talk, listen, and watch. But what are we DOING?

Nothing.

We are wasting our time. We say, "Well, I don't have time to do this or that." But we make sure we make time to scroll on Facebook or update our Instagram's. We get so caught up in other peoples' lives that we rarely have time for our own. This is the biggest problem with social media. (But that is a whole other topic in and of itself.)

You see, we weren't just made to simply survive life. We weren't created to watch what everyone else is doing. No, we were all created to thrive. We were created to bring glory to God. We were created to do good works through Christ. We were created to bring light to this dark world.

Everyone wants to change the world, but most people don't want to change themselves.

If we want to be the change we want to see in the world, we have to change. No one can make us change, not even God. He prompts us to change, to grow up. But He never makes us. We have to want to change. We have to be willing to change. God will help us, but we have to do it ourselves.

There are many things I want to do. But I waste so much time doing dumb childish things, it's no wonder I say I don't have time to do any of them. Now, some of these ideas are just fantasies, while others I could actually make a reality - but only if I get to work. I can't just sit around and hope these things will happen. I have to make my dreams realities (as long as God is behind them.) I have to be the one to chase after them.

A couple months ago (sometime in April, I believe), I was outside on the porch. It was a beautiful day. I was standing there, watching my dogs play. Out of nowhere, a whirlwind of leaves appeared right in front of me. They twirled around for several seconds, and then they all scattered. As they blew away, I heard the whisper, "Winds of change."

Ever since that day, I have felt not only my circumstances changing, but also my inward being. I have asked God to continually show me what I need to change. God has been changing me from the inside out. He is purging me from everything that's hurting me.

If we want to be the change, we have to look at ourselves. We have to ask God to show us what He wants us to change in our lives. We have to be willing to change. We have to want to change.

As Michael Jackson's famous lyrics say, "I'm starting with the man in the mirror. I'm asking him to change his ways. No message could've been any clearer. If you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself, and then make the change." Now Michael Jackson was no saint, but I have to admit that these words are true. Reminds me of Matthew 7:5, "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

We need to get up offa that thing - in James Brown's words - and do. Don't just talk and dream. Do. Ask God to help us see the changes we need to make, so we can help change the world.

Now...what are we waiting for? Let's change!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standing Strong Against Temptation

Book Spotlight - To Slay a Curse by Rae Graham

The Battle Between the Poverty and Prosperity Gospels