Get off the Fence

The room was dead silent.

We all looked at our professor, who had tears in his eyes.

"I beg you," he said, looking at each one of us, "Don't be half-in. Either get all the way in, or get out."

 I will always remember that day.

You see, that man was my Christian Ministries professor in college about two years ago, and he commanded us to make a decision. Either we loved God and wanted to obey Him, or we didn't. We either needed to serve God or just forget the whole thing. We shouldn't be in-between serving Him and then not serving Him.

I thought that day would change me. It kept me inspired for a while, but then I fell back into the same old routine: Half-heartedly loving God.

What I mean by half-heartedly loving God is this: sometimes praying, but usually only when I needed something. Worshipping, but only when I felt like it. Reading the Bible, but only when I was going through a rough time and needed encouragement. 

I'm so weary of only half-heartedly loving Him, and also being pulled by the world. It's exhausting.

I'm sure most of us have heard this verse before: "You must the love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul and with all your mind." (Matt. 22:37)

I've heard this verse since I was young. But let's be honest. Do we REALLY obey this verse? Because if we did, we would go to God about everything. We would pray and talk to Him on a regular basis. We would worship and read the Bible all the time, not just when we felt like it. We would obey Him even when we didn't want to.

The truth is, we can't love God half-heartedly. Either we do or we don't. If we don't love God, then we love the world. "No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." (Matt. 6:24)

The Bible calls half-heartedness "lukewarm." And God does not like that. "I know your deeds, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish you were either one or the other! But since you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!" (Revelation 3:15-16)

So I am getting off the fence. I want to love and serve God wholeheartedly. I am changing my ways, because I sure don't want to be lukewarm and be spit out of His mouth!

So what is keeping you from wholeheartedly loving and serving God?  Either love and serve God wholeheartedly, or serve the world. You can't serve both. Get off the fence. Either jump all the way in, our get out. Don't play and dangle your toes, because that's dangerous.

"Choose this day who you will serve....But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." (Joshua 24:15)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standing Strong Against Temptation

Book Spotlight - To Slay a Curse by Rae Graham

Get Rid of Distractions!