Do the Next Right Thing

What do we do when we are facing a tough situation? 

What do we do when that relationship comes to an end?

What do we do when a loved one dies?

What do we when we don't get accepted into that school?

What do we do when we aren't hired for that job?

What do we do when we are told by our government to stay home due to a virus?

About a month before this pandemic began, I watched Frozen 2 with my siblings. 
I kinda had a hard time following the story line just because it was very fast moving, but the one song that really stood out to me was "The Next Right Thing" sung by Anna (Kristin Bell).

I won't go into all the details in case you haven't seen it. I don't want to spoil anything. Basically, Anna is in mourning. 

I've seen dark before, but not like this
This is cold, this is empty, this is numb
The life I knew is over, the lights are out
Hello, darkness, I'm ready to succumb
I follow you around, I always have
But you've gone to a place I cannot find
This grief has a gravity, it pulls me down
But a tiny voice whispers in my mind
You are lost, hope is gone
But you must go on
And do the next right thing
Can there be a day beyond this night?
I don't know anymore what is true
I can't find my direction, I'm all alone
The only star that guided me was you
How to rise from the floor?
When it's not you I'm rising for
Just do the next right thing
Take a step, step again
It is all that I can to do
The next right thing
I won't look too far ahead
It's too much for me to take
But break it down to this next breath, this next step
This next choice is one that I can make
So I'll walk through this night
Stumbling blindly toward the light
And do the next right thing
And, with it done, what comes then?
When it's clear that everything will never be the same again
Then I'll make the choice to hear that voice
And do the next right thing 

I don't know about you, but I have definitely been in her shoes! Especially right now. Maybe not to this extent, but I am definitely trying to figure out what I should be doing next - constantly! Honestly, I have felt this way since I graduated from college 4 years ago. 

There are some who are able to plan out 5 years in advance- and that's awesome! But then there are others (like me), who are taking it one day at a time, trying to figure out the next right thing to do. Taking baby steps. 

So what IS the next right thing?

Obviously,  I can't answer that question specifically for you, since we are all called to something different.

But what I can tell you is this....

God wants us to work with our hands! There are many verses backing this, but here are just a few:

1 Thessalonians 4:11 says, "Make it your goal to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working with your hands..."

Ecclesiastes. 9:10 says, "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might..."

Ephesians 4:28, "....use your hands for good hard work, and then give generously to others in need."

Doing the next right thing is continuing with whatever God told you to do. If He hasn't told you anything different, that means you need to continue doing whatever that is. Don't grow weary! He will help you finish!

Doing the next right thing is stepping out when God tells you to do something you've never done before, to get out of your comfort zone. 

But on a daily basis, the next right thing is doing whatever good your hands find to do. Write that book. Bake that cake. Clean that house. Plant that garden. Build that doghouse. Find a new hobby. Create. Encourage and love on others. Call that friend/family member. Send a gift or card to someone. Read. Dance. Whatever your hands find to do. 

Just do the next right thing. But don't rely on yourself to do the next right thing. Let the Holy Spirit guide you. Let Him inspire you. Let Him give you hope. Let Him lift you up. Let Him help you to step out.

Be encouraged. Take a step. Do the next right thing! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standing Strong Against Temptation

Book Spotlight - To Slay a Curse by Rae Graham

Get Rid of Distractions!