#CalledbyGod

Recently, my mom told me that she felt as though 2017 was the year God wanted her to deal with some of her pet peeves. After she told me that, I started feeling the same way.

My mom and I Googled the definition of "pet peeve." This is what we found:

pet peeve
noun
informal
  1. something that a particular person finds especially annoying.
    "one of my biggest pet peeves is poor customer service"
 
We ALL have pet peeves. I have many pet peeves. Like when I find two open jugs of milk in the fridge. Or driving behind a school bus when I am already running late for work. Or when customers tell me how to do MY job.
 
These are only small pet peeves of mine, but I also have a few big ones that actually matter a whole lot more than the others.
 
One of my biggest pet peeves is this: When a pastor/youth pastor/elder/minister/worship leader/missionary says, "I was called into full-time ministry."
 
Now, this statement in and of itself isn't annoying to me. I understand that this most likely means they don't have any other work. Their church is their work. I understand that.
 
What irritates me is the meaning behind this statement. To me, what these people are actually saying is, "I was called into full-time ministry. You weren't, because you just work a normal 9-5 everyday job. I, however, am a missionary/pastor/youth pastor/elder/worship leader/. Therefore, I am more spiritual than you."
 
Ouch. It just makes me cringe every time I hear it. They may not be saying these exact words, but it seems to be the message they are trying to convey, whether they realize it or not.
 
The truth is, just because someone is a pastor of a church or a missionary to a foreign country, does not make them any more spiritual than any other Christian. And just because they say that they were called to "full-time ministry," does not mean other Christians are not. In fact, as a Christian, we are ALL called into full-time ministry!
 
John Bevere, author and speaker, says it well, "When people think of those with a great call of God on their life, they often envision pastors, missionaries, worship leaders, speakers, evangelists, and so on. But the truth is, God calls people to influence every sphere of society. You may not be called to full-time vocational ministry - a majority of Christians probably aren't. But you are called to represent Jesus full-time in the arena He calls you to - whether that's government, education, the arts, the marketplace, or beyond. Seek God earnestly, find where He has called you, and then influence it for His kingdom."
 
As Christians, we are all called to the ministry. 1 Peter 2:9 says, "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of the darkness into His wonderful light."
 
Peter was not writing to a specific church. He was writing to Christians who were scattered across Asia Minor. This means, then, that we, the Church - and no, I don't mean a church building - are ALL chosen by God to minister to others. 
 
It doesn't matter whether you are a full-time stay-at-home mom, a college student, a teacher, a waitress/waiter, a business owner, an insurance agent, a car-dealer, a mechanic, a father, a realtor, a news anchor, a journalist, a husband or wife, or a child.
 
Wherever you are and whatever you do, YOU ARE IN THE MINISTRY, BECAUSE GOD SAID YOU ARE. So don't let people put you down because you aren't in full-time vocational ministry. Remind them of who God said you are!
 
There, I dealt with one of my biggest pet peeves :) 
 
#calledbyGod
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standing Strong Against Temptation

Book Spotlight - To Slay a Curse by Rae Graham

Get Rid of Distractions!