Lukewarm Coffee

During my last semester in college, I took an Intro to Christian Ministries class. In one of the class periods, my teacher talked to us about how we should either follow God or we should not. As he talked about being lukewarm, tears started coming to his eyes, and his voice got stronger. He told us to either "be in the ministry or get out of it. Don't be lukewarm." I hope I will always remember how he was moved to tears about this particular subject, because it really helped me to see how many lukewarm Christians there really are, and how I did not want to be one.

Revelation 3:15-16 says, "I know your works, that you are neither hot nor cold. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will vomit you out of my mouth."

Ouch. God is really strong about this issue. He will vomit us out of his mouth if we are lukewarm. He tells us that it is better to be cold than to be lukewarm.

Jesus also said in Matthew 6:24, "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." James 4:4 says, "You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world, becomes an enemy of God."

A lot of Christians get the idea that it is okay if they are in between hot and cold, like this woman from "War Room."

 
 
I don't know about you, but I definitely do not like lukewarm coffee. I like it either hot or iced. If it is only lukewarm, I would probably either warm it in the microwave or throw it out. In the same way, God will spit us out if we are lukewarm. If we are trying to serve God, we cannot be lukewarm. We cannot love both him and the world. We can only love one or the other. 

So how do we become un-lukewarm? Well, if we want our relationship with Christ to be hot, repent and follow God and love him wholeheartedly. But if we cannot choose between the two, it would be better to stop serving and following him altogether.

Which will you choose to be?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standing Strong Against Temptation

Book Spotlight - To Slay a Curse by Rae Graham

Get Rid of Distractions!