Just Do It!

Ever had God tell you to do something and you didn't do it and then you regret not doing it? I know, it's kind of a silly question. You're probably thinking, "Uh, yeah. Don't we all?" 
This morning I was reading my devotional. Usually I ask God to direct me to the verse that I need to hear for that day when I open my Bible. Most of the time, He directs me to just the right verse. Today it was James 4:17, which says, "Remember it is sin to know what you ought to do and not do it."
Now, I have heard this scripture before, but I never really put much thought into it. I read it several times so that I could catch the message of it. "...it is SIN to know what you ought to do and not do it." Did you hear that? It is SIN to know what you should do and not do it! 
Most of the time when we don't do something God asked us to do, it's because we are embarrassed or thinking too much of what others are thinking about us. We don't want to do that certain thing because we are afraid of being judged by others. 
James 4:12a says, "There is only one lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?" Even though people may judge you for something God asked you to do, it will be better than having God judge you for not doing it. 
It's funny some of the things God uses to tell you to do something-- one thing I keep noticing over and over again is the Nike slogan, "Just Do It." I see it everywhere I go. God has used this slogan to tell me that when He tells me to do something, that I need to just do it. Instead of saying, "I can't do it. What will they think of me?" Or "I'll do it later." When I say I'll do it later, God gives me another chance to do it. Then it would've been better to do it the first time. 
Recently, I had the chance to pray for this elderly couple who comes into my work all the time. The woman has some kind of disease and her legs were in so much pain that she couldn't move them. She was sitting out in the car while the man, who uses a wheelchair came in with his walker and bought some muffins for them. He told me that she couldn't walk, and so he brought his walker instead of his wheelchair because he knew she wouldn't be able to get up. My heart ached. When he told me she was in the car, God told me right then that I needed to go out and pray for her. I was a little hesistant, but then I realized that I was only thinking of myself. I was worrying about what others would think about me. Why should I care about what others think when I should be caring about this woman's need for prayer? 
After I humbled myself, I told my manager that I would be back, and I took the bag of muffins and helped the man out to the car. Then I asked the woman if I would be able to pray for her. There I stood, standing in the parking lot, praying for a woman who I didn't even know very well. She told me she was a firm believer in prayer, and that my being there was not a coincidence. Then she prayed for me as well, thanking God for sending me to her. I held her hand the entire time. After she was finished praying, she looked up at me with tears in her eyes and said, "Sweetie, you prayed for me. Thank you so much." Then she hugged me. When I went back into work, I felt a heavy burden lift off of my shoulders and I smiled. 
When God tells you to do something, do it! I garauntee that you will feel more free and happy once you lay yourself down and think about the needs of the people around you. Just do it! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standing Strong Against Temptation

Book Spotlight - To Slay a Curse by Rae Graham

Get Rid of Distractions!