The Clique Thing

"My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy clothes also comes in. If you pay special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, 'Here's a good seat for you,' but say to the poor man, 'You stand there' or 'Sit on the floor by my feet,' have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?"
-James 2:2-4
The Lord has been speaking to me lately about cliques and showing favoritism. Frequently I find myself talking, walking, and sitting with the same people at college. Just recently, I asked myself, "What is it like for the people who don't have very many friends to see me hanging out with the same people over and over again?"
Just the other day, I was eating at the cafeteria with my brother and a few friends. A girl who knew everyone sitting at the table came over to see if there was a space available, but unfortunately, we were all packed together tight as it was. Someone at the table told her that one of her friends was sitting at the table beside us. The girl looked over at that table and said, "Ohh...I don't know those people beside her." I found that statement very sad. I was so close to telling her, "Get over it! Go sit with someone new for a change." But I realized that her statement is how I respond to others sometimes. 
There was a time at lunch when I sat down at a table where one of my friends were sitting, but they had to get to class soon and left. I was left there sitting alone. Soon, however, a few girls asked if they could sit at the table, and we eventually ended up in a good conversation. Unfortunately, I can't remember all of their names (there are a lot of people at college after all), but I did remember one of them, because I realized she was in one of my classes. 
The next day, in class, I sat at the very front of the room. I'm one of those people who can concentrate better at the front of the room. I get easily distracted by what others are doing. Soon, the girl came up and sat by me. Now, this was a testimony to me. It wasn't because I didn't have any friends, because I actually know a lot of people. It was the fact that she was getting out of her comfort zone to sit by me when no one else was. Even though I don't really hang out with her, we still have fun talking to each other before class and when we see each other in the cafeteria. She is a great example of someone who is willing to meet new people. 
That's the way we should be. We shouldn't be showing favoritism. We should be treating people equally. "But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers." (James 2:9) Now obviously, you will probably hang out with some friends a little more than others. I'm not saying that having a group of friends that you get together with a lot is wrong. In fact, it's good to have people you know well around you so that you can build each other up and encourage one another. What I'm saying is that if you have a chance to meet someone new, then you need to jump at the chance. You don't know what other people are going through. Your smile just might make their day. 
So instead of sitting with the people you usually sit with (believe it or not, that is called a clique) go sit beside a random person and talk to them. Just let them open up to you. You could end up developing a life-long friendship. And even if that's not the case, you might end up encouraging them about something, or maybe even witnessing to them. Keep your ears open to God and your eyes open to others!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standing Strong Against Temptation

Book Spotlight - To Slay a Curse by Rae Graham

Get Rid of Distractions!