Get Rid of Distractions!

"I said to myself, 'I will watch what I do and not sin in what I say. I will hold my tongue when the ungodly are around me.' But as I stood there in silence- not even speaking of good things- the turmoil within me grew worse. The more I thought about it, the hotter I got, igniting a fire of words; 'Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered- how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath.'" - Psalm 39:1-5

I have been meditating constantly on these verses lately. The reason for this is because I feel like there are things that I have wasted my life away with. I have been doing these things instead of encouraging others, praying, reading the Bible, and spending time with God. As I look back at some of the things I did, I am saddened. It's not that all these things are ungodly; it's just that they are a huge distraction and a waste of time. I have been asking God to help me veer away from these distractions so that I can draw closer to Him.

A lot of these distractions I have been dealing with are earthly things, such as movies, music, and social media. While they are not evil, I shouldn't be constantly wanting these things in my life. 1 John 2:17 says, "And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever." (NLT)

While God wants us to enjoy our lives, we also need to be seeking Him. When we become obsessed with earthly things, we have a hard time following God and seeking Him wholeheartedly. This is why we must put God first in our lives. "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." - Matthew 6:33 (NLT)

Today I am asking God to help me avoid all the distractions that keep trying to push me away from His plan for my life. I won't be perfect at it, but I believe that, with God's help, I will be able to live my life to the fullest by following Him. 2 Corinthians 4:18 says, "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (NIV) I need to start focusing more on the future instead of on earthly present things.

I encourage you to do the same! Whatever distractions that are keeping you from following God wholeheartedly should be set aside. Once you set them aside, I believe that you will find, just as I am, that you will have a more fulfilling life and stronger relationships with the people around you as you draw closer to God. It will be hard, but it will all be worth it in the end!









Comments

  1. Just saw that you're a blogger too! Great message. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Standing Strong Against Temptation

Book Spotlight - To Slay a Curse by Rae Graham